Sheep

Sheep

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Consumed

At any given moment you could pose the question to Travis or I,
"What are you thinking?"

Once upon a time, our responses were pretty predictable. It could be just about the beat in a song (Travis) a patient at work (Me) one of the kids, plans for the weekend, what were we making for dinner...basically the normal every day stuff.

Now, all bets are off. We are totally, 100% consumed by the farm (name still in progress) We talk about livestock, when we are starting seeds and cabinets. Paint colors and curtains our making it difficult to think of anything else. When we lay beside each other at night, our whispered sweet nothings in the dark are about cabinets. I close my eyes and see rows of vegetables, seeds spilling out of pouches, and can smell newly turned  earth. I dream of bees and flowers, herbs swaying in the breeze. Gone are thoughts of summer vacations and running away to the beach. Every urge has been replaced by running away to the farm.

We plow through the every day responsibilities just to be done and on the farm! I have begun to pity the person who asks us about the farm, because they are opening the floodgates. Both Travis and I could talk endlessly about what we have planned, what we are working on, and what we need help with.

Yesterday, while filling out paperwork for a doctor's appointment, there was a space to list "Hobbies" I didn't even bother trying. How do I fit all that we are doing on a line? The "To Do" list on the counter is pages long! We are the people wandering around Lowe's. Travis actually texted me that he was ogling tools and I was more than okay with that. I lusted after my sister's seed starter shelving  last night.

We have a sickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment