Sheep

Sheep

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tick Tock

We are waiting. Endlessly waiting. Listening to the rain on the windows, hearing the rumble of thunder, watching the storm clouds roll in endlessly. Our seedlings have strong stems, beautifully unfurling leaves and are beginning to resemble a stood up prom date. All dressed up and no place to go.

Our home is full of hyacinths, daffodils and tulips coaxing our senses towards spring. How quickly I forget every year that spring in Pennsylvania is a wet adventure in patience. Who can forget the spring we had snow? I remember being overly anxious to plant and losing plants to my need to dig my hands into soil.

spring means worms, and dirt under my nails. Spring means a natural dialogue with God. I love to plant and talk to the One who gave it all too us. The trouble pour out and peace fills the empty place left behind when I work outside.

A few weeks ago, I prematurely planted several different kinds of hardy lilies around the arbor. It was barely warm on my back, the ground still smelled like winter. I started digging, finding a secure place for each bulb. I gave up quickly on using a shovel, knowing my hands would do a much better job. After a few bulbs, I found my thoughts turning to a different time. I was overwhelmed by the feeling that I has done all of this before. I remember many years kneeling beside my grandfather, for what seemed at the time like an eternity, but what I know now was only a moment. Bulb after bulb, perfectly placed. We were planting promises. Promises of spring returning, family dinners that needed flowers on the table, of placing a smile on Grandma's face. I found myself day dreaming of the day my lilies bloomed, of warm breezes and walking with my hand in my husband's up to our garden. I keep thinking of how my little one loves eating outside picnic style, and how to let her have a garden party would really just thrill her.

I planted on, remembering and praying for our family and our promises. Our garden and our life is becoming richer every day. Seeds sown by our parents and grandparents are sprouting, developing beautifully deep roots and fragrant flowers.

I finished placing all of our bulbs, patted the soil and sat back to let the sun hit my face. The promise of spring began to take over the feeling of winter.

Yesterday, 3 weeks after placing our bulbs, I walked through the garden to find shoots peeking the soil.  Our promise of spring is breaking through!

No comments:

Post a Comment